St John the Baptist Church

Back to Current Projects

St John the Baptist is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. It was built in 1868-69 to replace a previous church. Designed by Charles Buckeridge, Andrew Saint has described it as “perhaps his most elegant single work”.

The church is built of local Hornton stone; an ironstone of rich brown colour but prone to become friable and scale away. The tower is of typical double skin construction but with a particularly mobile core of rubble. A series of vertical cracks are visible in the walls.

A programme of works is currently underway to address the cracks in the tower walls as well as the decayed stonework of the tower and spire. A full height scaffold is to be erected to enable the project.

Back to Current Projects